Thursday 2 October 2014

Is it really necessary for a music student to have a homework diary?

When I first started teaching I thought that my students having a homework diary was a waste of time. Firstly I thought that it wasted my time because most students don't consult these diary's and then if I have written in them it would be pointless. I also felt that some of the lesson was wasted on writing in it, and if it wasn't going to be used anyway, this was also a waste of paper. My students either asked me to write on their music or they would 'just remember' what they would have to do. I was happy with this, and felt that I could usually remember what my students were doing as well.
 
When I started teaching full-time, each student was given a music diary and the school insisted  that we write in it. Over the time I was at that school I realised that it was really is a useful tool. Firstly, I not only had a lot more individual students, I was teaching a lot of other music classes and bands and it became nearly impossible to remember what every student was doing. As soon as I was able to consult their diary, I was able to remember what that student was doing and the lessons were therefore more productive.
 
I later realised that it also became a great record book as to when the students were having lessons as well as how they had progressed over the year. It was good for the student as well as myself, and it was proof to any potentially concerned parent that things were actually happening in the lessons (not that this was a problem, but it could potentially be in a school situation).
 
While I'm not as strict about this with my private students, I certainly recommend have a music homework diary. Even if it is just for your records. I don't always write in them myself. It depends on the students, sometimes they like to be the one to write in it, but either way, it is really helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment