Friday 2 May 2014

Go big or go home

Recently my husband came to the conclusion that my folks are dreamers. I concur. But they are even more than dreamers, they are doers! They have seemingly crazy/impossible goals and yet, more importantly, they have achieved them.

My mother-in-law was telling me, just yesterday, that she did this coarse by Dr Caroline Leaf. It had to do with finding what your God-given talents are and using them to the best of your ability. I didn't realise it but I have heard a little bit of Dr Leaf's teachings before. I actually found a clip of what I heard on the radio once, and I will put the link below. What she discusses is how what we think can affect how brain functions. So if we think positively we can actually change various chemical reactions in our brain. I'm no scientist, so I won't attempt to explain it all, but Dr Leaf is a scientist. She has done a lot of research on the brain and proven that we can actually improve our IQ. I am inspired to learn more about this, I believe she has a few books and she has done a lot of talks on the subject. The great thing for me, is that she is a South African woman, who is living in America and making waves in her field.



How does this relate to my parents? Well, I really believe that they are living proof that if you think positively, have a goal, work hard in your field, that you are passionate about, and aren't afraid to take risks, you can achieve anything your heart desires.

My dad always told me these words of advice that have stuck with me.

1) You are a leader
2) Life is too short to stuff a mushroom

The first words of advice were always told to me in an encouraging way. Not a pushy kind. So my dad would say to us, 'be the natural leader that you are. You don't have to be loud or pushy, just do what you think is right and people will follow.' There is so much to that advise, I could probably write a thesis about it, but it has almost been a subconscious mantra for me throughout my life.

The second, (more based on the small button mushrooms, the ones that you can't actually stuff). I was confused by this one for a while and had to ask my dad what he meant. Well, 'don't sweat the small stuff' is what he said. I'm still working on that one in some respects. He also meant that you have to just get on with things. You can't spend your life trying to do things that aren't going to get you anywhere. Sometimes you have to just move on from things. I think that this can also have many meanings, but what I have taken from that, is that we live in a world that isn't perfect. If we try to do something perfectly, then we will be stuck on that thing for the rest of our lives and just get frustrated. So we need to do our best, and then move on.

I have become so inspired by my husband's comment. I have always admired my parent's ambition. But seeing it from a different angle has been quite liberating. I have dreams and I have goals, but sometimes I'm trying to stuff a mushroom instead of getting on with something more useful. In fact, I think I take it one step further. Sometimes I am still thinking about how I am going to stuff that mushroom and how I would really like to do so. So today, I am going to just eat the darn thing and move on. 

Please note this mushroom...I mean picture, does not belong to me.

3 comments: