Thursday 12 November 2015

Building blocks for business



I was a waitress throughout my first year of University. When the manager interviewed me, he asked me what is the most important thing to remember during service. I said 'the customer is always right!?'. He said, 'consistency'.

A few years later I got some business advice from a good friend of mine. She said, 'there is no such thing as a stagnant business. Either a business is getting better or it is getting worse'.

While these two concepts may seem to contradict each other, I have learnt that their juxtaposition is indeed what makes a good business.

Here are a few ideas of how some things have appealed to me in terms of the two concepts:

Consistency:
  • Always give of your best (even if you are tired)
  • Keep good communication with your clients.
  • Always be friendly, even if your clients have disappointed or offended you.
  • Keep your business and personal boundaries in place from the beginning.

Improve your business:
  • Look for ways to make people more comfortable, update your venue with new cushions or wall decor etc.
  • Keep up to date with new technologies (Ipad lessons etc)
  • Keep up to date with new techniques (music related), new tutors
  • Improve your advertising with new photos, graphics or wording. Old photos can sometimes look like nothing has been happening in your business.
  • Ask your clients what they would like to see change, even if it's to try new pieces.
  • Make things easier for your students, have reeds or music for them to purchase (this can be for their convenience more than for your pocket, but if you are a good business person, you could score this way too. Why not?)
  • Don't be afraid to try new things.


I definitely don't claim to have these things in order, in fact this is a list that I hope to start achieving. It both exciting and daunting, but well worth the effort, I believe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment