Thursday 16 October 2014

What books do I start with?

There are so many very good tutor books out there and I probably will change which books I use a few times over the years. But I do have my current favorites for beginners.

Below are short descriptions of the books:

Recorder

Title: Recorder from the Beginning Book 1
Composed or arranged by: John Pitts
Published by: Music Sales Ltd 
For : Young beginners

This book is good because it has a word or syllable below each note. It is more appropriate for the little ones who are either starting to read or already can, but I find it wonderful to teach the younger ones the rhymes and how to play the pieces. I show them the book and teach them about the note values and they are pretty quick to start understanding basic concepts. It helps if they are learning to count already, and usually from about 3 they are counting comfortable (remember they will only need to count to 4).




Recorder

For: Older beginners - from 12 and up

I actually haven't had any adult beginners. I have one who is doing Grade 3, so I don't actually have a go to book for this one :-)  I'm open to suggestions.


Clarinet

Title: A Tune a Day For Clarinet book 1
Composed or arranged by: C. Paul Herfurth
Published by: Boston Music Company
For: Any age, although I don't usually start clarinet student too young, the youngest I have is 9 and she is an exception as she is incredibly advanced musically for her age.

I'm not sure if I like the new layout as I haven't used the latest publication yet, but I found that the old 'A Tune a Day for Clarinet' introduces new notes well and has good pictures to help students remember the notes. There are a lot of exercises given on each note before moving to the next. As the clarinet makes use of a lot of ledger lines very early on, it is important that a beginner is very certain of the notes before moving to the next one to avoid any confusion. I usually use it for teaching all of the notes and then supplement it with examination pieces as soon as the student is ready.The new edition comes with a backing track CD, I believe.




A Tune A Day For Clarinet Book One




Saxophone

Title: Saxophone Basics
Arranged or composed by: Andy Hampton
Published by: Faber Music
For: Any age

I really like this book because the saxophone is a much easier instrument to come to grips with as a beginner than the clarinet. So this book moves much faster. There aren't as many examples before moving on to the next note. Yet it is still thorough and presents each page in a fun and clear way with added tips and information. Once you have learnt all of the notes there are some nice pieces toward the end of the book. This allows the learner to feel they have really accomplished a lot by the time they have reached the end of the book. My younger and adult beginners both seem to enjoy using this book. 




You should be able to purchase these books at any local music shop. They may have to order them for you or you can also purchase the online. 







Disclaimer: please note that none of these pictures belong to me.

4 comments:

  1. I love books. I love the paper, the memories pages hides for me as reminder of my studies in the 1980~ but kids today gather information differently. This is why I created BandPad. I still use "A Tune A Day" for teaching trombone. The book was written in 1947 by a violinist and still relevant, but I add https://bandpad.co as support

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amit, how is the Bandpad going? Are you finding it to be successful with your students?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amit, how is the Bandpad going? Are you finding it to be successful with your students?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Robyn
    I launched BandPad this May so most teachers will use it on the next year only. Meanwhile I can see that students that loves to play visit BandPad morning and evenings and there teacher reports that they achieve great results by their own.

    ReplyDelete