Friday 9 May 2014

Interview: Nadine Sisam

Photograph by Christiaan Botha

I'm pretty convinced that Nadine has the most amazing voice ever! They say people who do covers often don't have their own sound, but this fireball has that and more! I remember the first time I saw her perform in Rock Evolution at the BMW Pavilion (I think it was in 2006), and I was blown away at how this young woman had such incredible control of her voice. She sang a variety of songs and nailed every single one and the audience was completely captivated by her on-stage presence. It's not easy to perform lives shows, but to do it every night is admirable.

To learn more about Nadine, check her out here : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nadine-Sisam-Vocalist-Performer (Make sure to go to all the YouTube links!)

Click on this link to watch her first original song and music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwAR7uCpYkI (I couldn't add the YouTube link, but it's such a beautiful song - GO CHECK IT OUT)

This is her singing live at her home:



I'm so honoured and excited that Nadine has answered my questions. If you haven't already done so, then go watch the Time Warp at either one of these Banyard Theatres:

Parkview, Pretoria East from 22nd April to 1st June 
Gateway, Durban from 3rd June to 20th July 
Boksburg, East Rand, JHB from 22nd July to 31st August 
Cresta, Randburg, JHB from 2nd September to 12th October &
Willowbridge, Cape Town from 15th October to 31st December



This is what Nadine had to say in answer to my questions:

When and how did you start singing?
As far back as I can remember, I could always sing. I have always been singing. Or so I've been told. I grew up in a noisy, lively household, in which the radio was always playing. I was never discouraged from adding to that noise by belting along with it and music in all its forms were always welcomed and available to me in my home.

Did you have any formal training, and if so where? If not, how did you come to hone your art form?
I did 2 years of jazz vocal training at the Jazz Workshop in Cape Town. I didn't see it as training at the time, it was more of something fun to do on a Saturday afternoon. It is, however, where I learnt the fundamentals to singing which I still use today. I did 5 years classical singing training in high school too.

What inspired you to take up your art form as a career?
Music itself. I know nothing else. I just always knew I was going to do it.

What does your current career entail? (Can you give an idea of a day in your life?)
I am currently in a fast paced musical tribute show called, Time Warp. It’s all singing, dancing and acting. My job requires me to be versatile when it comes to singing and to look after my voice and body. Work out and get proper rest. Being a live show, there is always pressure to get it right every single time I set foot on stage.

How did you (and do you) approach being in the music industry in South Africa?
Many people who aren't in the industry have a misconception of what our industry is like. The fantasy portrayed in the movies of a young starry eyed girl being discovered at her first ever public performance, who then gets signed to a label who then becomes rich and famous- couldn't be further from the truth. I feel our industry is still very green in comparison to that of the states. People’s perceptions of musicians and dancers is still that it’s something we do for fun and thus, why should we get paid and have health benefits like regular corporate working people. We have to fight that much harder for everything we get because of this mind set, but that also makes the work so much more rewarding at the end of the day.

What do you most enjoy about your career?
I love doing live shows. It’s a daily challenge to get everything right. One shot is all we get to give people the best night out and to make them forget about the world outside of the theatre doors. Even though I do the same show 6 nights a week, no show is the same and that makes coming into work every day that much more exciting.

If you could, what would you change about the music industry? 
Hard to say, a part of me wants to say everything, a part of me wants to say nothing. Everything, because I wish there wasn't so much pressure to change who we are as artists so that we can be marketable and mainstream just so we can afford to have the things regular people have. Nothing, because the industry is the industry. It has always been this way and even though its cut-throat and somewhat depressing, for those who keep at it, it makes them stronger people.

Do you enjoy what you do now? Is it what you expected it to be?
It is what I expected and more. I love making people happy with the talent I was given.

What are your plans for your future?

My plan is to try everything in this industry. Even if I dip my toe into different aspects, I still plan to try. Be it dancing, acting, producing, costume design etc. I hope to stay excited and passionately invested in what I do, for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment