Wednesday 23 October 2013

Remembering Annette

A very special teacher of mine passed away two weeks ago and I cannot stop thinking about her and all the amazing life lessons that she taught me. She was my singing teacher and yet she taught me more than just how to sing. She taught me to have confidence in my abilities. She did this by actually believing in me herself and constantly affirming me.
 
Although I stopped having lessons a few years ago, due to the fact that I had other commitments, Annette stayed in contact and every now and then we would go for coffee. I know that she went through so much while battling cancer and sometimes I feel bad because I wasn't there for her during this time. I do know though, that she had many loved ones around her, supporting her. I also know that she made every effort to make each moment count. I believe I will see her again one day. 
 
While I think of her often, I have a few things in my home that she gave me, such as wedding gifts and also at end-of-year concerts she would sometimes give us all something, these are constant reminders of the heart of this lovely teacher. I still use bath bubbles that she gave me once. Some day I hope to be a teacher like her.  
 
Here are a few words to a song she once taught me:
 
 
 
LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY
Words by IRA GERSHWIN, Music by JEROME KERN
 
 
Long ago and far away
I dreamed a dream one day
And now that dream is here beside me
Long the skies were overcast
But now the clouds have passed
You're here at last!

Chills run up and down my spine
Aladdin's Lamp is mine
The dream I dreamed was not denied me
Just one look and then I knew
That all I longed for
Long ago was you.

No comments:

Post a Comment