Saturday 19 September 2015

Where is my head?




While I have been asking babies and toddlers for the last 3 months where their physical heads are, I have also been thinking about where my own head is at. It's a good thing to be constantly evaluating our lives, as that is the only way we can consciously make changes for the better. Today, being a Saturday, I went to work in the morning, and then when I came home, 2 hrs later, I sat on the couch and lounged around. I watched some Youtube and snacked, while my husband did some serious manual labour in the garden. 

Can you guess what I am going to say next? A part of me felt really guilty for doing nothing. Things like, 'don't be so lazy', 'you're missing the beautiful weather' and 'don't eat too much' were going through my head. The other part of me was so happy to be relaxing, with the sun beating down on me through the window and my favourite youtuber, organising her household and inspiring me on how I can organise my new home. It's funny how while all this is happening in the back of my head I was also thinking about how I need to vacuum the lounge again, fold up some washing and get stuck into our 'messy' room. I was also thinking about how I desperately need to practice my saxophone for an upcoming gig, and I need to unpack the dishwasher, make lunch, reply to emails and relax. RELAX! Wait, isn't that what I was doing? Then why on earth could I not stop feeling like I had to be doing something else?

I have seen a lot of people writing about being 'present' in the moment. Well, today, I have been greatly challenged by this. It is ok to do nothing at times, and it is ok to do things, even if they are meaningless to others (like decorate my 2016 diary). But to be present in those things, that is the challenge. Maybe it's because I am a woman and my mind is constantly multitasking? My husband is brilliant at all the things he does, but he usually does one thing at a time and does it well. Maybe the challenge is to become focused on doing one thing at a time and being present doing this one thing. So I challenge you out there, if you are relaxing, then enjoy it. If you are cooking, smell the deliciousness. If you are working, give it your all! But do what you are doing with your mind as well and not just your body.

Have a wonderful weekend everybody, enjoy the sunshine and the rugby! 

No comments:

Post a Comment