Thursday 8 May 2014

Interview: Lwanda Gogwana


photo by Moeti Moumakoe

It has been a dream of mine to, not only write reviews of South African musicians and their music, but get a bit of a 'behind-the-scenes' look of how they view their own careers. Especially within the context of the South African music industry. There are so many questions to ask, but I thought I would keep it simple. 

Lwanda Gogwana was kind enough to answer some of my questions. If you have been living under a rock for the last few years and you don't yet know about this burning trumpeter, composer, arranger and producer, then do yourself (and the world) a favour and go here http://lwanda.co.za/biog.html and here:



Then, share the love and tell a friend! Because you are missing out on what Lwanda has given to the world. Not only has he recorded his own album, The Lwanda Gogwana Songbook, and thus been nominated for a few SAMA’s, but he has performed at great venues and festivals (including the Cape Town Jazz Festival) in and around South Africa and overseas. Lwanda has also performed with the likes of Jimmy Dludlu, Steve Dyer, Moreira Chonguica, Ezra Ngcukana, Errol Dyers, Tete Mbambisa, Robbie Jansen, Bruce Cassidy, John Fedchock, Judith Sephuma, Goldfish’s Sakhile Moleshe, Bokani Dyer and Marcus Wyatt (to name a few). He is brilliant at what he does, but he also has a heart for paying it forward. Lwanda is down-to-earth and very involved in his community. He loves sharing his passion of music with those around him and is part of an organization, RYTHM (reaching youth through music) that promotes South African music to the youth. 

Keep up to date with Lwanda's gigs on Twitter here: @lwandagogwana
Or on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/LwandaGogwanaMusic

This is what Lwanda had to say:
What do you think?

When and how did you start playing your instrument/singing?
I started by singing along to my parent’s music in the car, then I started singing in the school choir. I later took up the piano and then the trumpet.

Did you have any formal training, and if so where?
My formal training started at school, at Cambridge Prep School. Then Cambridge Junior, then Stirling High School and my tertiary training was at UCT.

What inspired you to take up your art form as a career?
I can’t remember anything specific that inspired me, but I think if, anything it, was just loving the sounds of music around me...then, when I saw others do it at school, I wanted to join too.

What does your current career entail? (Can you give an idea of a day in your life?)
Nowadays my typical day includes anything from teaching music, recording in studio, practicing, performing and touring with different artists including my own band.

How did you (and do you) approach being in the music industry in South Africa?
South Africa is blessed to be very diverse in culture and this inevitably influences the music of this country to be very diverse - so I try to take advantage of that by collaborating and working with as many different artists to make a good example of a rainbow nation inspired musician, lol.

What do you most enjoy about your career?
I’m not quite sure what I like the most about my career - I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm always involved in anything that comes my way - and enjoy most of it.

If you could, what would you change about the music industry?
I would like for all musicians to know about their opportunities - because there are many, especially in rural areas, who are extremely talented but are clueless about SAMRO and other bodies designed to assist artists. Also I would like to see a stronger presence of indigenous South African culture through the music we export to the world.

Do you enjoy what you do now? Is it what you expected it to be?
I enjoy what I do, but it is not what I expected.

What are your plans for your future?
My plan for the future is to help future musicians, especially those from underprivileged backgrounds, to launch their careers and give them guidance. And to be actively involved in the promotion of indigenous South African music.

No comments:

Post a Comment